Question:

From California, USA:

My son has recently been to the hospital because he woke in the middle of the night with stomach pains and he wouldn't stop crying. His blood test showed a glucose level of 145 and his urine had no glucose but did show ketones. He had eaten dinner and some Halloween candy that evening. The doctors seem to be saying as little as possible. While he hasn't been diagnosed yet, he woke up again last night with the same symtoms yet less severe. I had been keeping him on a balanced, low sugar diet until the night before when I let him have a peice of cake at a relatives birthday. I also found out that Grandma had given him a package of candy. This seems to be the only conection that I can make for his symtoms.

Does it sound like I should continue to seek help for this with his doctor? Also, if it is diabetes like it was suggested by the doctor in the emergency room, why would his stomach hurt? I haven't seen anything about stomach aches in the diabetes symptom information I have looked at so far. He does show symptoms of excessive thirst, hunger, and aches. Please help this confused mother!

Answer:

First of all, episodes of abdominal pain are not uncommon in small children and it is not impossible that the single rather high fasting blood sugar was stress related. Howvever I assume that when he was hospitalised there was a very complete history and a thorough physical which failed to point to a specific diagnosis. You do not say whether any additonal fasting blood sugars were drawn or whether any sort of a glucose tolerance test was performed; but clearly the issue of diabetes is of concern. In the circumstances I would suggest talking to the pediatrician about gettiing an antibody test done. The number to call for details of the sample needed is 1-800-425-8361. Since more than 90% out of control Caucasian children with autoimmune prediabetes are positive, this promises to answer your concerns about this diagnosis. And perhaps I should add that years ago when this diagnosis was much less prompt abdominal pain was a fairly common feature of the preclinical phase.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Aches and Pains