From Illinois, USA:

I have a 14-year-old daughter, diagnosed Type 1 two years ago. She has been on an insulin regimen of morning humalog and Lente, dinner Humalog, bedtime Lente. Her A1c's have all been under 7. Her endo wants to switch her to Ultralente, covering all meals and snacks with Humalog. He says this regimen makes a teenager's life easier. I am concerned about ultralente "peaking" and causing her to go low in the middle of the night. Though Ultralente is not supposed to have a "peak," I've heard and read some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I would be interested in your opinion and those of other parents with teens on this regimen. She is not yet ready for a pump.

Human Ultralente is not completely without a "peak", but when split into 2 doses has less of a peak than Lente twice daily. Any insulin can cause a low blood sugar during the night which is why it is important to test during the night when making changes.

The main change here is adding a lunchtime dose which can give a teen more flexibility to match the afternoon insulin to her schedule. Some teens, however, find it very difficult to give the lunchtime shot at school. Your daughter should be involved in this decision as if she choses this regimen, she must not miss the noontime injection.