Question:

From Manila, Philippines:

I recently found ants in the soiled diaper of my 1 month old son which I had left standing for a while. Could this indicate diabetes? I myself am diabetic and was treated with insulin for the duration of my pregnancy.

Answer:

In the old days, diabetes used to sometimes be diagnosed because flies would hover around urine with sugar in it (often a child would have an accident and urinate on the floor before diabetes was diagnosed.) I never heard reports of ants being attracted to the sugary urine. Fortunately today there are more accurate and faster methods of diagnosis. I suggest you speak to your doctor about obtaining a urine sample for sugar, especially if your child is urinating excessively or drinking a lot.