Question:

From Venice, Florida, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several months ago. He is 9 years old and has been doing good with his blood sugars. When we are figuring up how many carbs to give him for his snacks, is there a guideline that would help us determine what kind of effect he would have if he wants something that has a lot of sugar as the carbs, and we give him part of the carbs with little or no sugar and some of them with something that has a lot of sugar as the carbs?

I'm afraid of sending his blood sugar real high then have him drop like a rock before his next meal! For example: his afternoon snack is 2 1/2 carbs; if we were to allow him to have 1 carb in a popsicle and the other carbs in crackers, are we harming his body if this causes him to go high for a short while then low before his next meal?

Also, is there a good source of information for meal planning and snack planning?

Answer:

I don't believe you will harm him with a combination snack of sugar and nonsugar foods. The combination of foods should help to give a smoother blood sugar curve -- in any case, you will not cause damage with a brief high blood sugar. Damage is caused by continuously high blood sugars over long periods of time. Sugar does effect people differently. You might want to see what different combinations do and then use it to your advantage, such as during exercise.

As for good sources of information for meal planning and snack planning, I always have a hard time with this question because I believe with the Food Guide Pyramid and the world of labels, planning is up to the individual. You really should talk it over with your dietitian on your son's diabetes team.

JM