From Ulm, Germany:

I have 2 questions:

1. Do you have any information about HbA1c Values of nondiabetics? (My current value is 5.5.; I use Lispro, Normal and slow Insulin.)

2. One week ago I was in Denver (coming from Germany) and I had a lot of problems getting my blood sugar down less than 160, which is not normal for me. Is it possible that this has something to do with the altitude in Denver (1 mile high) and the very dry air?

Normal ranges for glycohemoglobin vary between centres and between machines -- a big problem for doctors looking after patients with diabetes. However your value would fall within normal for most systems (check with the lab who performed the test). Provided, you have achieved this level without a lot of hypos then this is a good value.

I am not aware of altitude having a direct effect upon blood sugar but you have had to adjust to a large time change as well as (I assume) the stress of a big move -- both potent causes of temporary fluctuations in blood sugars.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Stress