Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I have a 16 year old son who has sugar in his urine when tested with a urine teststick less than an hour after dinner. So, the doctor took a blood sample for a hemoglobin A1c test. I was told after 2 days by the doctor that the result of the A1c test was 0.084 and because of this, my son has diabetes. So, I took a blood sugar test of my son using my glucometer at home the other night before his dinner. The reading was 5.9. The following morning his reading was 5.6. The next morning, it was 5.8. I am a diabetic and the A1c test results suggest that my son has elevated blood sugar. But my glucometer says that he has normal blood sugar readings. My glucometer was checked by a hospital lab 3 months ago during my routine blood tests. It has no problem. Why is it that there are conflicting results between the A1C and the glucometer tests? Is my son diabetic?

Answer:

Doublecheck the sugar in your son's urine, fasting and after meal, as well as blood sugar levels through lab standard methodology. If he's already gotten frank diabetes, they must be high, given the higher A1c level. It could also be a prediabetes phase and in this last case blood sugars and consequently glycosuria (sugar in the urine) could be fluctuating over time and at fasting both can be within the normal ranges. A glucagon test can be of help in assessing the reduced insulin secretion of your son's pancreas and, given his young age, an autoantibodies test is necessary to establish the diagnosis of Type 1 or autoimmune diabetes.