From Adelaide, South Australia:

I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and subsequently have a glucose meter to monitor glucose levels. My other children are fascinated by the process and begged for me to have their reading taken. I said I would only do it first thing in the morning (for my own curiosity) before they had anything to eat. My 6 year-old and 10 year-old remembered the next morning, so using separate lancets I did a test on both. Their fasting blood sugar levels were 6.4 (6 year-old) and 6.7 (10 year-old). These levels were above my own target of 5.5. Do children naturally have higher blood glucose levels than adults, or could there be a problem?

Certainly 6.7 mmol is a little high and 6.4 barely over the upper limit of normal; but when you take into account the excitement and stress induced by your diagnosis and the prospect of also having to be tested I think it is very unlikely that either of them has diabetes.

In any case the genesis of gestational diabetes is quite different from that of Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes, by far the commonest form in children. If the tests have made you especially anxious, you might like to have your doctor arrange some further simple laboratory confirmation on the children, for example, a test for urine sugar and a confirmatory blood sugar assay.