Question:

From Monroe, New York, USA:

Six days ago my 2 year old nephew began running an extremely high blood sugar count (700). He was rushed to the hospital and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The levels have dropped since the onset. However, he never showed signs of it until this onset. He has been sick, and was recently bitten by a tick. Is there any other disease, infectious or otherwise, that could be causing the rise in blood sugar levels? The doctors refused to test for Lyme disease, or other underlying problems as they are convinced that it is diabetes. My nephew's mother was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease.

The family is beside themselves, as they have started him on insulin, he is now throwing up and has had diarrhea. He is so little and his uncle does have type 1 diabetes since he was 6 years of age. I don't understand why they have not done testing for other illnesses. He has been sick with a cold recently.

Answer:

I am sure the doctors are correct about the diagnosis of diabetes. I have never heard of high blood sugars being a feature of Lyme disease. The fact that your nephew had no symptoms before presenting is not so unusual in a very young child.