Question:

From Manila, Philippines:

My mother has Type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed when she was in her 30's (she is now in her early 60's). My wife also has Type 2 diabetes. She is 33 years old and overweight. If she loses the weight, what are the chances of being undiagnosed?

Answer:

Being "undiagnosed" is an interesting concept. The diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes is something that really can't be taken back. What we know about your wife is that she has the genetic metabolic disorder of insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency. If she were to follow a healthy diet and maintain a healthy exercise program, it is likely that she would be able to get her glucose levels into the normal range (the weight loss doesn't have to be great).

Would she still have diabetes? Yes, she would have type 2 diabetes, being controlled with exercise and meal planning. The reason that I feel strongly that she should continue to consider herself a person with diabetes is that it is an easy disease to forget about and then the glucose levels sneak up again.

Since your mother has diabetes, have you had your blood glucose checked lately? We can be fairly sure that you have the diabetes gene and you and your wife should plan on making exercise and meal planning a family tradition since your children are at risk for getting type 2 diabetes (not Type 1). That means that they will be at risk for gaining weight easily and becoming a type 2 diabetic later, as adults.

VV