From Texas, USA:

I have a six year old son that the doctors think he has diabetes. They told me to go and see a endocrinologist but right now since I have no insurance or Medicaid, I am not able to go. I would like to know what the sugar level readings are supposed to be. I have bought a monitor but I am not sure exactly how to know when it is too high or too low.

I would not rely on a meter if you have not been properly trained in its use. You should tell your doctor about your financial problems. If the doctor thinks your child has diabetes, it is his/her responsibility to make sure your child is evaluated immediately. Your doctor should call a pediatric endocrinologist and discuss your child's case and how to best handle the situation. If your child has symptoms of excess urination and thirst and your doctor can't get you an appointment right away with an endocrinologist, go to the nearest emergency room. They can't refuse to see your child and evaluate him. If he is nauseous or vomiting, it is already an emergency.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Social Issues: Insurance/Costs