From the Philippines:

My son is 14 years old and Type 1 diabetic for 10 years now. Have you heard of the "noni plant" from the Polynesian Islands? I heard that it could control blood sugar and protect the immune system. I would like to know if it's advisable for him to take it.

Also my son is suffering from nephrotic syndrome wherefore his doctor for a time required him to take steroids for 3 years. He's off steroids now and his kidney problem still exists but it has also stunted his growth and he feels insecure as his height is only 5'2" at 14 years old. Please advise me on what I can do or give him.

I have not heard of Noni Plant. Your son has type 1 diabetes and the only effective treatment is insulin. There have been claims for many other substances including plant remedies but these have been unsubstantiated. I would be particularly wary giving any unknown and untested plant extract to someone with kidney disease.

Your son's endocrinologist or paediatrician can advise about your son's growth -- e.g., whether growth hormone might still help although he is probably too old.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations