Question:

From France:

Is there an efficient glucometer for using it during a very cold temperature (less than -5 degrees)? As I often go skiing in the Alps, my glucose meter fails to test my glucose level because of the coldness even if I have put my glucometer inside my ski suit. Which glucometer will you advise me if there is one, or maybe which trick do you use not only to keep the glucometer warmer, and also to use it outside with a very cold wind and some snow falling in order to know if I am not in hypoglycemia?

The second question, as my glucometer has no replaceable battery and can be used approximately during one year, how can I know that my glucometer is coming to the end of its use, does it switch off automatically meaning that you cannot use anymore this glucometer or is there a warning telling you that you have to replace it?

Answer:

All of the blood glucose meters have a temperature range where the results will be valid. Some meters will not work when the ambient temperature is outside of the range. Other meters will work and may not give you accurate results. Check your meter manual to see the temperature range for your meter. The chemical reaction that takes place on the strip will be slowed down in cold weather, and can give a false low reading. When skiing, keep your meter and supplies in an inside pocket. If camping in cool weather, keep your meter in your sleeping bag.

Concerning low batteries on meters, there is a code which will display when the batteries are getting low. If your meter is one that does not have replacement batteries, then call the manufacturer concerning replacement of the meter when the batteries are low.

LM