From Illinois, USA:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed about 5 months ago. I want to check my 1 year old daughter's blood sugar once a month for peace of mind. What is the best time of day to do so? After a meal, first thing in the morning? My husband has been Type 1 since age 7, his sister since about 18. The odds seem heavy on the side of eventual positive.

The highest blood sugars are about an hour after eating. Have you considered one of the programs that are doing research looking for children with the propensity for diabetes? The DPT-1 is one such program. Your daughter is too young to enter this research study, but many, including our university, are interested in younger children. Ask your doctor.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Genetics and Heredity