Question:

From Florida, USA:

Is it safe to use artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (Nutrasweet or Equal)?

Answer:

The safety of aspartame is probably proportional to how it is used. Moderate use of aspartame appears safe for children aged 2 or more. I believe some people have adverse reactions to aspartame, just as some have adverse reactions to eggs, milk, peanuts, etc. I would suggest if you limit the foods you and your family eat with aspartame that you will probably not find it to be a health problem. I do encounter people in my clientele who have what they believe to be adverse reactions to aspartame and I always advise them to stay away from it. There are alternatives out there. It is a good idea to monitor how much soda pop and other diet drinks your children drink.

JM

[Editor's comment: We have had a flurry of letters asking about the safety of aspartame. Children with Diabetes has set up a special page to review some of the comments that can be found on the Internet: see Aspartame. WWQ]