From Florida, USA:

Is it safe to use artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (Nutrasweet or Equal)?

The safety of aspartame is probably proportional to how it is used. Moderate use of aspartame appears safe for children aged 2 or more. I believe some people have adverse reactions to aspartame, just as some have adverse reactions to eggs, milk, peanuts, etc. I would suggest if you limit the foods you and your family eat with aspartame that you will probably not find it to be a health problem. I do encounter people in my clientele who have what they believe to be adverse reactions to aspartame and I always advise them to stay away from it. There are alternatives out there. It is a good idea to monitor how much soda pop and other diet drinks your children drink.

[Editor's comment: We have had a flurry of letters asking about the safety of aspartame. Children with Diabetes has set up a special page to review some of the comments that can be found on the Internet: see Aspartame. WWQ]