From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

My son is 11 and has been diabetic for six years. Recently he has developed pains in his lower legs, sometimes "charlie horse" type pains in the very early morning and other times the pain lasts for hours and I can feel that his calves are stiff.

He has always been under good control, but in the last six months or so I have been having problems with him lying about blood sugars, skipping shots and sneaking sugary foods. His doctor seems unconcerned and says this "rebellion" is a normal part of growing up, but now I am afraid he has somehow damaged his legs with this irresponsible behavior. I hate to change doctors since it takes my son a long time to "warm up" to someone, but I feel I may have to. Is this leg problem something I should be concerned about? Will it go away?

Long distance diagnosis is generally unwise but, given that your own doctor has examined your son, I think it is likely that his pains are what we often call 'growing pains'. The characteristically come on during the night and may be exacerbated by vigorous exercise the day before. We don't know what causes them and they go away. They are unassociated with diabetes, badly controlled or otherwise.

Posted to Aches and Pains