Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Feb 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I will be staying with a French family on an exchange visit. We need information in French language to give to the host family about diabetes and diet. (28 Feb 1999)

2. Our two year old granddaughter has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are at a loss. Her pediatrician has been no help: he has not referred us to anyone; we have had no counseling. (28 Feb 1999)

3. I am 44 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for approximately 15 years. I just found out today that my diabetes is causing problems with my liver (fatty liver). (28 Feb 1999)

4. I have a 15 year old son who was diagnosed 4 years ago and with him starting puberty shortly after his blood sugar levels are like a rollercoaster! (28 Feb 1999)

5. I work with a 19 year old brittle diabetic. He doesn't monitor it as ordered. How important is it to monitor it every four hours, then to eat and take the insulin as ordered? (28 Feb 1999)

6. Two years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Today I was told she has hyperthyroidism. Is this normal or is it rare? (27 Feb 1999)

7. My dad has diabetes and his levels are between 382 & 389 mg/dl. As honey is a natural product and does not need to be digested by the body, would it be okay for him to take it? (27 Feb 1999)

8. I have an eleven year old with Type 1 diabetes. He is currently taking three or four shots a day depending on blood sugar. He wants a pump, but the HMO company is saying that as long as he is in good control with getting his 3-4 shots a day, they don't see a point in it. (27 Feb 1999)

9. I am scheduled to do a teaching session to diabetic children ages 8-16. Do you know of any sites or magazines that would have better ideas I could use? (24 Feb 1999)

10. Is it possible for a person with Type 1 diabetes to go on a carbohydrate free diet, similar to the Atkins all protein diet? (24 Feb 1999)

11. My daughter is 15 years old and has had type 1 for 14 years. She had mononucleosis several months ago. She is still so fatigued that she is unable to go to school for a couple days at a time and just sleeps. (21 Feb 1999)

12. Our daughter, 19 years old and diagnosed with Type 1 at age 8, has had extreme difficulty losing weight for the last 5 years. (21 Feb 1999)

13. I am a 24 year old male and have been diabetic since I was 8 years old. My question is concerning impotence. Could you possibly relay the major symptoms in regards to this area? (21 Feb 1999)

14. My 22 year old daughter, diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 11 years ago, is 4 months pregnant. Because of the need for tight control she's experiencing many severe reactions, some resulting in seizures. (21 Feb 1999)

15. I recently had a fasting glucose reading of 198. The nurse tells me that a reading that high is considered diabetic. Is this so? (21 Feb 1999)

16. I have heard that the University of Florida has found a way to transplant islet cells without rejection by using bone marrow from the same donor. I would like to know more about this research. (19 Feb 1999)

17. I don't have diabetes but my girlfriend does. She is 22 years old and has diabetes Type 1 for 4 months. I would like to know about the psychology in people with diabetes. I want to help her. (19 Feb 1999)

18. I would like to know what is consider a high blood sugar level in a 3 year old boy. My son had his sugar tested by an at home kit and it read 115. My son is always very thirsty and urinates frequently. Should I be concerned? (19 Feb 1999)

19. My granddaughter has type 1. She's only 7 years old, and keeps asking me when it will go away. How do you tell this child there is no cure for type 1? (19 Feb 1999)

20. My 4 year-old daughter was diagnosed six months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Our pediatrician referred us to another pediatrician (not an endocrinologist) with more experience treating kids with diabetes. How important is it for her to be seen by a pediatric endocrinologist? (19 Feb 1999)

21. My 12 year old daughter is having a extremely difficult time maintaining control of her diabetes. She constantly has blood sugar readings in the 300's and it's not unusual to be in the 400's, especially before dinner. Is this common for an adolescent to be this out of control? (15 Feb 1999)

22. My daughter has had diabetes for almost 3 years now. In this time she has had a really hard time in school. She has been failing all her classes. Is there a link between learning disability and diabetes? (15 Feb 1999)

23. I heard on the radio that they have approved a monitor for glucose testing. It said it was laser based and there is no lancet. (15 Feb 1999)

24. My instructor says that the highest incidence of diabetes occurs in Native Americans, African Americans, and Hispanics. While working in Hawaii, I was informed that Tongans have the highest incidence in the world. Is this true? (15 Feb 1999)

25. I have heard about keeping the baby's cord for possible help with future cancer treatments. Is there any hope for there being help with keeping the cord blood and diabetes cure or treatment? (15 Feb 1999)

26. Can you tell me if there has been any research done on diabetes and amphetamine taking and if so the effects that have been found? (15 Feb 1999)

27. What is the effect of fasting on such diabetic patients who are able to fast, and what we can advise them? (15 Feb 1999)

28. What is the dawn phenomena and what causes it? (15 Feb 1999)

29. Do you have information on children with diabetes and also cystic fibrosis? (15 Feb 1999)

30. I have been approached regarding an insulin pump. How exactly do they work and what surgery is involved? (13 Feb 1999)

31. Do birth control pills affect the fertility of diabetics? (13 Feb 1999)

32. I have a 4 year old son has been urinating very frequently. He had blood and urine tests that were normal. Does he need a glucose tolerance test? (13 Feb 1999)

33. My three year old daughter (diagnosed 5 months ago) just had her first A1c test and it came back 9.7. My husband and I were quite upset with the result. (13 Feb 1999)

34. I understand that diabetes is partially hereditary and partially environmental. Can you tell me what the environmental factors are? What, if anything, can I do now? (13 Feb 1999)

35. My 3 1/2 year-old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1. Wouldn't it prove good research to extract just one good cell, perhaps freeze it via cryogenics, clone it enough times to replicate normal numbers, then transplant them back? (11 Feb 1999)

36. I am a health educator and have been asked to locate a support group for juvenile diabetes in the Pasadena, California area. I have had no luck. I am considering starting one. Do you think groups for children are helpful? (11 Feb 1999)

37. Do large ketones in a non-fasting, nondiabetic child during illness suggest that he is borderline diabetic? (11 Feb 1999)

38. I have two questions. Is diabetes a sex linked disease? Is there a high or low frequency among births? (9 Feb 1999)

39. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 3 1/2 years ago. Since then, she has had recurrent vaginal yeast infections that have been very difficult to clear up. (9 Feb 1999)

40. I am 16 weeks pregnant and my doctor has already ordered a glucose test for me. This seems very early, but he obviously sees a danger. Does having this problem so early on indicate any major problems? (9 Feb 1999)

41. My son received a letter stating that the hospital we use has been chosen to participate in a research program for inhaled insulin for children age 12-17. (9 Feb 1999)

42. My 14 month old grandson has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes -- immediately following having roseola. My wife and I are now 26 years out of date in the treatment of diabetic infants and would very much like to update ourselves in this regard. (9 Feb 1999)

43. Is there any information on the pesticide Chlordane and it causing diabetes? (8 Feb 1999)

44. My granddaughter has had Type 1 for 10 years. She is entering puberty and her sugars are yo-yo'ing. I have heard of an insulin drip implant which puts out a steady drip and allows better regulation of sugars. Do you know anything about this? (8 Feb 1999)

45. My 13 1/2 year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 12 1/2 years old. She seems to have stopped growing, height-wise, and I wonder if the diabetes could be the cause. (8 Feb 1999)

46. We have struggled for several months to get our 12 year old daughter's sugar under control. A week ago her doctor put her on clonidine for ADHD. From the first pill, a significant drop in her blood sugar levels. Is this a coincidence or is clonidine known to lower sugar levels? (8 Feb 1999)

47. I would like to enquire about a product called PP Nikotinamid. It has been recommended to a family friend, whose grand-daughter has just been diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 8. (8 Feb 1999)

48. I've just recently found out I am pregnant. This wasn't planned and I am wondering at which point do high blood sugars affect the baby. (6 Feb 1999)

49. I have a hemiparesis on the left side of my body making it impossible to fill my insulin syringes. I noticed the insulin pens on this site and couldn't help thinking that this may solve my problem "one handed insulin refilling and injections". (6 Feb 1999)

50. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year and a half ago. He is now 4 years old. Can you tell me more about these Subcutaneous Infusion Sets (Insuflon)? (6 Feb 1999)

51. My father has diabetes. He's 64 years old. I want to help him control his sugar by checking his urine, so I want to know more about equipment to check the urine. (6 Feb 1999)

52. We have a new child with Down's syndrome at our school who was just diagnosed with Type 1. She is 6 years old. I'd like to know if there is any literature that we could use to benefit her teacher and the school nurse. (6 Feb 1999)

53. Much has been written about the effect of food on blood sugar. Can you tell me if food can affect the amount of insulin our bodies produce? (6 Feb 1999)

54. My 4 year old son was diagnosed at 2 years old with diabetes. Before now he has never wet the bed. (6 Feb 1999)

55. I would like to know whether cloning allows growing a new pancreas using the cells of the patient, so that this new organ could not be rejected after transplantation. (6 Feb 1999)

56. My daughter, 13, was diagnosed just 3 months ago with Type 1. I don't feel totally confident in knowing how to adjust the doses. Since the endocrinologist seems annoyed when we call, should we find a diabetes educator to help us? (6 Feb 1999)

57. Two years ago our 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes (Type 1). She is about to turn 23 and my husband's health insurance has notified us that her coverage will be discontinued. What can we do? (6 Feb 1999)

58. I have a 3 year old son with Type 1 diabetes. He will be going to school within the next couple of years and I want to know what difficulties and problems he will be expected to face and what measures I can take to help him. (4 Feb 1999)

59. I have 2 children with diabetes. Now it seems my third child also may have it. Why did 3 children get this? (4 Feb 1999)

60. There has been much in the news lately about increasing number of cases of Type 2 in children. These articles only mention obesity and/or non-Caucasians. Is there any information on nonobese, Caucasian children with Type 2? (4 Feb 1999)

61. My toes have a numbness of both feet. Is this a form of diabetes? (4 Feb 1999)

62. Our seven year old daughter is on insulin for two years with constant ketones. Any idea what is the cause of her ketones? (4 Feb 1999)

63. I have Type 1 diabetes and I am 14 years old. I want to start cutting out the snack foods that my friends don't have to eat between meals, so that I don't feel different. (2 Feb 1999)

64. I am a 57 year old type 2 diabetic. Is it allowable or advisable for me to donate blood? (2 Feb 1999)

65. Over the last six or so years, he has had a total of 26 hypoglycemic seizures between 5:00 and 7:30 A.M. He was on NPH at bedtime. Could his seizures have been due to the NPH? What does each seizure do to the body? (2 Feb 1999)

66. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last year at the age 46. Do people with diabetes tend to get depressed more easily than others? I have found this to be true in my case. (2 Feb 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts