Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last year at the age 46. Do people with diabetes tend to get depressed more easily than others? I have found this to be true in my case.

Answer:

There is research that validates the connection between depression and chronic illnesses.

I hope that you are able to discuss your feelings with your physician or another health care professional. it is unwise to "bottle things up" inside. In most cases, talk therapy combined with antidepressant intervention is successful in treating depression. Please be an advocate for yourself and seek out a therapist with experience in treating clients with chronic conditions like diabetes.

CMB