Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am a 57 year old type 2 diabetic. Is it allowable or advisable for me to donate blood?

Answer:

Having diabetes alone is not a reason to be unable to donate blood and despite my diabetes, I have donated many times in the past, especially when I was not taking oral diabetes medications. The important thing about blood donation is to discuss it with the blood bank that you are planning to donate to. They especially need to know all the medications that you are taking. You may want to discuss this with your doctor because you wouldn't want to donate if you are anemic, or low on red blood cells yourself, but otherwise, go ahead and give the gift of life!

VV

Additional comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

The American Red Cross issued a policy about 2 years ago that they do accept blood from those with diabetes, either type 1 or 2, as long as they meet the other requirements, such as weight, hemoglobin value, etc. If your local clinic is unsure, contact the Red Cross. So, please do donate.

LSF

Additional comment added 6 Feb 1999