From England:

I have Type 1 diabetes and I am 14 years old. I want to start cutting out the snack foods that my friends don't have to eat between meals, so that I don't feel different. I have tried but my blood sugar ends up going too low. Is there anything I can do to cut them out and not go low, whilst still eating healthily?

Have you talked to your diabetes care provider about this? When people take Regular and NPH or Lente insulins, and the blood sugars are in range, snacks are usually needed. With Ultralente insulin, snacks are not usually needed. Humalog insulin (with any of the above insulins) can also help to decrease the need for snacks.

You might also consider an insulin pump, as you would not need snacks on most days. A pump is not for everyone, but if you can check your blood sugar at least 4-6 times a day, every day, then look into it.

Additional comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I applaud your efforts to decrease your snacks and maintain good blood glucose levels.I think this might help clarify, but 2 specific suggestions -- first, contact your diabetes team and perhaps decrease the NPH or Ultralente that is causing the low blood glucoses (we usually find the Ultralente works like NPH and does peak, although perhaps not so much) or second, grab some glucose tabs, gummi fruits, raisins, etc. -- these are not many calories and can increase your blood glucose enough. Be sure to see what amount you need (it is not much) by checking your blood glucose later.

Additional comment added 6 Feb 1999