Question:

From Delray Beach, Florida, USA:

I have a diabetes which supposedly is not analyzed by my blood work. I have a question: My toes have a numbness of both feet. Is this a form of diabetes?

Answer:

Your question is a difficult one to answer by e-mail without more details of your medical history and examination. However if your blood sugars are normal and no excess of glucose was found in your urine then it is exceedingly unlikely that you have any form of clinical diabetes. Depending on your age there are some tests that you could talk to your doctor about that would confirm that you are not even in the very earliest stages of diabetes.

As to the numbness in your toes this might be due to some simple local condition such as badly fitting shoes or low temperatures, to some inflammation of the peripheral nerves or to some changes in the blood supply to the feet. I am quite sure it is not due to diabetes if your sugar levels are normal, but you really need to consult your doctor about your concerns.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Complications