Question:

From East Brunswick, New Jersey, USA:

I have a 3 year old son with Type 1 diabetes. He will be going to school within the next couple of years and I want to know what difficulties and problems he will be expected to face and what measures I can take to help him.

Answer:

I can understand your concern. I remember worrying about my son going to kindergarten and he didn't have diabetes! Being prepared is the best help you can give your son when he enters the school world. You might contact the school he will be attending the spring before he starts and ask for a meeting with the school nurse to find out what kind of support is available. Be prepared to do some educating if your school nurse has not had a student with diabetes in her building. Written instructions are best (my district has very specific forms that ask all the necessary questions to properly care for a student with diabetes). Then ask for a face-to-face meeting with his classroom teacher and any other person who may be working with him (such as assistants, the music teacher, the librarian, and especially his physical education teacher). If he is eating lunch at school, you may want to meet with the school lunch coordinator to find out what foods are served and to get a list of carb counts.

Ask for the names of other parents who have children with diabetes in your school and find out if they would be willing to talk to you. Your son is legally entitled to have his medical needs met at school and asking for a 504 accommodation plan is the way to insure that he gets everything he must have to be successful. Our website can provide you with more information on what to ask for on the plan.

Remember that open communication is critical to keeping your child healthy and happy so he can learn!

LW

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare