Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

We have a new child with Down's syndrome at our school who was just diagnosed with Type 1. She is 6 years old. She is in school all day. She has difficulty communicating concerns or even recognizing that she has pain or discomfort. She will be back in school soon and I'd like to know if there is any literature or other help out there that we could use to benefit her teacher and the school nurse.

Answer:

I think that the best approach with this little one is the team approach. If your school nurse is comfortable with this issues of Type 1 diabetes, I would have her educate your special education team that will be working with this child about diabetes. If your school nurse needs some support, she might invite a member of the diabetes team who works with this family to come in to educate the nurse and the special ed folks. After some basic diabetes education has been done, the special education teacher and the school nurse could work out a plan to meet this student's needs and then share it with everyone who works with this child in a multi-disciplinary team meeting (or whatever venue you have to gather the troops!) I assume this student is on an IEP and her medical needs would be part of her plan. Of course I would always include the parents in the entire process of gathering information, educating, planning, and sharing. Having the medical people and the special education people come together and each offer their areas of expertise should provide this child with the best plan possible.

LW

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare