From Coral Springs, Florida, USA:

I am disabled and have Type 2 diabetes. I have a hemiparesis on the left side of my body making it impossible to fill my insulin syringes. I noticed the insulin pens on this site and couldn't help thinking that this may solve my problem "one handed insulin refilling and injections". I am wondering if you have an opinion? Could I change the needle with one hand? Currently I can inject the shot if someone else fills the syringes (Humulin brand N and Humalog).

I would meet with an occupational therapist and diabetes educator to help you to be the most independent. Depending on your dexterity, you may be able to use the insulin pen with one hand. You would need to stabilize the pen against something while you twisted the needle on, and also while you held the pen, needle pointed up to clear the air. If the barrel is twisted on tight, it might be hard to change the cartridge with one hand, but you might be able to do it.

There are devices, such as the Holdease, available from Meditec, Inc., (303) 758-6978, which holds the insulin vial and syringe in one unit to be able to draw up insulin with one hand. Please see the 1999 Diabetes Resource Guide, supplement to Diabetes Forecast, available from the American Diabetes Association.