Question:

From Essex, Ontario, Canada:

I've just recently found out I am pregnant. This wasn't planned and I am wondering at which point do high blood sugars affect the baby. I have always had very good control; my HbA1c being around 6-7% in the last 2 years or so. I had a few big high blood glucoses after conceiving I am assuming because of hormones. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

The critical time during which high blood sugars affect the baby is during the first 8-10 weeks of pregnancy. This is when all the organs are developing and are most sensitive to adverse conditions. However, if your blood glucose is in good control at the time of conception and beyond, then the risk to the fetus is minimized. The hemoglobin A1c of 6-7% is very reassuring. However, it will be important to further assess the fetus as it develops. The few high blood glucose values should not be of major concern.

Posted to Family Planning and Gestational Diabetes