Question:

From Indiana, USA:

We have struggled for several months to get our 12 year old daughter's sugar under control. She was diagnosed Type 1 two years ago. Her sugar was fine until this summer. Changes in her diet and insulin changes have not helped. A week ago her doctor put her on clonidine for ADHD. Although we have not seen much improvement with her attitude or energy level there was, from the first pill, a significant drop in her blood sugar levels. Is this a coincidence or is clonidine known to lower sugar levels? Since her sugar has responded so well can we hope that she will respond in other ways?

Answer:

I have not seen anything about the effect of clonidine upon blood sugars but, as this drug works on the nerve endings that produce noradrenaline (norepinephrine) and the latter can cause blood sugar to rise, there may be an effect. However, I would not expect this to be sustained.

Posted to Other Medications