From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

My 14 month old grandson has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes -- immediately following having roseola. I've looked for some information on the web regarding the latest treatment and handling of infants with diabetes but haven't had much luck. Even a support group would be useful to my daughter. Our youngest daughter (not the mother in this case) had an almost identical experience at the age of 20 months except the precursor was mumps. My wife and I are now 26 years out of date in the treatment of diabetic infants and would very much like to update ourselves in this regard.

I can't imagine there isn't a pediatric endocrinologist in the area with several children who are very young and have diabetes. We all have little children with diabetes these days. It, unfortunately, isn't rare. That really is the best answer. If you were in a truly rural area, then it could be a bigger issue.

I know the question of viruses and diabetes is always intriguing, but the autoimmune process has been destroying the baby's pancreas for a while. It didn't happen overnight.

Additional comments from Dr. O'Brien:

One source that might be helpful to you is Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. You can download the book without charge.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Daily Care