Question:

From North Babylon, New York, USA:

My almost 12 year old son, diagnosed 3 years ago, recently received a letter stating that the hospital we use has been chosen to participate in a research program for inhaled insulin for children age 12-17. Only 8 children from the hospital will be selected and we are going for an interview. What knowledge or experience have you had with inhaled insulin? We would like to find out as much as possible ourselves prior to the interview.

Answer:

I, too, will be recruiting patients for this study. I see it as a way to get rapid-acting insulin to patients. It will not replace long-acting insulin, but could offer the potential for one shot a day with 3 inhalations, maybe, but that's the research. Safe, likely yes. Dangerous, no more than shots. Effective, yes.

[Editor's comment: For more information about inhaled insulin, see:

WWQ]

Posted to Research: Other