Question:

From Texas, USA:

I am 16 weeks pregnant and my doctor has already ordered a glucose (1 hour) test for me. This seems very early, but he obviously sees a danger. Does having this problem so early on indicate any major problems?

Answer:

This is a bit early to be testing for gestational diabetes. However, there may be aspects of your history that place you at higher risk such as a prior large baby, gestational diabetes in a prior pregnancy, strong family history of diabetes, etc. If the screening test is positive, it might suggest that you have preexisting diabetes. This would require management even when you are not pregnancy. You may want to discuss with your obstetrician why he is obtaining this test so early.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes