Question:

From Savannah, Georgia, USA:

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 3 1/2 years ago. Since then, she has had recurrent vaginal yeast infections that have been very difficult to clear up. Her glucose levels do vary greatly but her Hgb A1c results have been between 6.8 and 7.0 for the lasts 2 years (lab normal is less than 6.5). I would like to know if it is safe to use the over-the-counter medications (miconazole nitrate) daily as a preventative and if Lactobacillus Acidophilus added to her diet would help prevent these infections.

Answer:

It is likely that the diabetes is contributing to the recurrent yeast infections. Over-the-counter medications can be effective, but they are not as potent as the prescription medications and resistance can develop. Similarly the lactobacillus might help, but will not cure a particularly persistent infection. I would recommend that you make an appointment with your gynecologist for your daughter for further examination and suggestions for treatment.

Additional Comments from Dr. Tessa G. Lebinger

If your daughter's vaginitis is confirmed to be recurrent yeast infections, sometimes a course of oral nystatin helps clear it up. Also, yeast infections tend to recur with antibiotic treatment, so you might consider starting prophylactic treatment any time your daughter takes antibiotics. Wearing cotton panties also helps prevent the infections.

Additional comment added 24 Apr 1999