Question:

From Pasadena, California, USA:

I am a health educator and have been asked to locate a support group for juvenile diabetes in the Pasadena, California area. I have had no luck. I am considering starting one. Do you think groups for children are helpful? What age ranges? Mixed gender? Thank you for your consideration.

Answer:

I think starting your own support group is a fabulous idea! You have found a need and you have the capacity to fill that need yourself. In the clinic where I worked for almost ten years, we found children with diabetes enjoyed coming together. Often we would schedule a physician to speak with the parents while I facilitated groups with the kids.

Teenagers like round table discussions relevant to their unique perceptions and needs. Younger children enjoyed activities that addressed their concerns but remained fun. For instance, Diabetes Bingo, which sparked talking about everything from finger sticks to fears.

I tried to stay away from the actual term "support group" simply because it carried the connotation of something being wrong. I named it "Children's Day With Diabetes".

CMB