Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I have a 4 year old son who, for the past two weeks, has been urinating very frequently (sometimes every ten minutes), nauseated, and having tremors when he hasn't eaten in awhile. Last Monday, he had blood and urine tests that were normal. Does he need a glucose tolerance test and do the first tests sometimes turn out this way? Or could these be symptoms of something else other than diabetes?

Answer:

The glucose tolerance test (GTT), besides being unreliable in general, is even less conclusive in children where it's quite rarely needed. I think it is very unlikely that your son has diabetes if blood and urine sugar tests were normal (just in case, doublecheck them), and something else other than Type 1 diabetes must be the reason for the symptoms. You might like to discuss the specifics with your own pediatrician.

Additional Comments from Dr. Tessa G. Lebinger

I would check his thyroid function. Symptoms of an overactive thyroid in a child can include frequent urination (with a normal blood sugar and no sugar in the urine), nausea, and tremors.

Additional comment added 24 Apr 1999