Question:

From Kansas City, Missouri, USA:

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at age 21. I have been off my birth control pills for about nine months. (I was previously on birth control pills for about a one and a half years.) I have not become pregnant and am extremely worried that I may be infertile. I come from a family of eight and the only other person in my family who is diabetic is my younger sister. My grandad developed it later in his life.

Do birth control pills affect the fertility of diabetics? Should I see a doctor and have my husband checked out as well? What time of the month do I try and conceive? When am I the most fertile? Should I take fertility pills? Do you have any suggested reading?

I would like other readers to respond as well. Thank you!

wright_april@hotmail.com

Answer:

Birth control pills should not affect your fertility. As long as you are having regular periods, then you are ovulating. There are other factors that can affect fertility, but I would suggest that you wait another 3-4 months before consulting with an infertility specialist. The usual recommendation is that a couple should try for a year of unprotected intercourse before pursuing an evaluation.

You are most fertile during midcycle which is when you ovulate. However, this will vary slightly from cycle to cycle. So I usually recommend that couples have intercourse every other day starting about 8-10 days from the first day of the menstrual period to about 20-22 days. This should cover the time you will be ovulating. You can have sex other days as well, but it is unlikely you will conceive.

If you really want to nail it, then you can buy an ovulation testing kit. But these are expensive. In terms of medication to improve fertility, you need to consult a physician for that.

Posted to Family Planning