From the United Kingdom:

Do you have information on children with diabetes and also cystic fibrosis? I have searched the web and cannot find the information on the two together.

My niece is 15 years of age and has been suffering from cystic fibrosis for the past 14 years and in the past month she has been diagnosed as having diabetes, insulin dependant, but the doctors are insisting that this is not the same diabetes that any normally well person would suffer from, and as I cannot find any information on the two connected, I was hoping that you may be able to help.

Your niece's doctors are quite right; the kind of diabetes that is a recognised complication of cystic fibrosis is indeed different from the usual Type 1A or autoimmune form or diabetes seen in childhood. The need for good control is just as important though, and for the most part this seems easier to achieve. Care for these children in the U.K. is generally excellent though the burden of two serious conditions can be a source of both nutritional and psychosocial stress as well as a challenge to the specialist paediatric staff.

You can find some additional information on the net in PubMed when you search for 'cystic fibrosis and diabetes' and if you have access to a medical library you might look up a paper by Allen,HF in Diabetes Care 21:943 1998 (June), Identification and Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes.

On the whole I thought most of the information on the Internet might not help you, so that perhaps you could at least arrange to see the Medical Social Woker on the next hospital visit.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

At the hospital where I work, we have a special team here that deals with cystic fibrosis and diabetes and they see many young people. If it would be helpful, I think the dietitian, nurse, or pediatric endocrinologist working with the team would be happy to help you out. The diet can be a real challenge.