Question:

From Dhahran, Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia:

We are looking for patient education, especially diabetic ones, in the coming few days as we are approaching our holy month during which we fast for 12 hours. Children who are 14 years and up are also fasting, so I'm looking for complete information about adjusting the dosages and timing of both parenteral and oral antidiabetic medications. What is the effect of fasting on such diabetic patients who are able to fast, and what we can advise them?

Answer:

I am unaware of any such patient education materials. I did check with several educators who work with folks who observe the fasting, but they said that the child with diabetes, even if over 14, was allowed to eat lunch. For adults or those who do wish to fast, they should decrease any insulin that might be peaking at that time and try to test their blood glucose, around mid-day and later in the afternoon, if possible, to be sure they are doing okay. Those on oral medications might want to just take their medications before the evening meal at dusk. Everyone does need to be sure to drink plenty of fluids.

LSF

[Editor's comment: I ran a search for information about Ramadan and diabetes, and found an article in the Detroit Free Press which indicated that people with medical conditions such as diabetes, which might be endangered if they were to fast, are not required to do so. See Joyous Fasting. JSH]