From North Carolina, USA:

Our 3 year old daughter has had diabetes for about a year now. We just found out that we are expecting our 4th child. I have heard about keeping the baby's cord for possible help with future cancer treatments. Is there any hope for there being help with keeping the cord blood and diabetes cure or treatment?

Fetal blood from the umbilical cord can be saved. It is currently being used for patients with certain types of cancer. Also, the blood can be saved for potential future use if the baby needs it as an adult. However, this is still experimental. As far as I know, umbilical cord blood would not be useful for future treatment of diabetes.

Posted to Research: Cure