From Harmony, Pennsylvania, USA:

My instructor says that the highest incidence of diabetes occurs in Native Americans, African Americans, and Hispanics. While working in Hawaii, I was informed that Tongans have the highest incidence in the world. Is this true, and is the incidence higher in Tongans that those mentioned above?

The highest incidence of diabetes in the world is in the Pima Indians of Arizona. Very close behind are the people of Nauru -- a small island in the Pacific that is rich in phosphate, resulting in great wealth. In both cases, adoption of a western lifestyle has caused obesity and associated illnesses. I'm not sure what the incidence of diabetes is in Tongans, but it's lower than in the above.