From Bradford, Pennsylvania, USA:

I heard on the radio that they have approved a monitor for glucose testing. It said it was laser based and there is no lancet. My daughter has had diabetes for 4 years. She is 11 years old and would greatly benefit from this. She is on the intensive therapy and must test 4 - 6 times a day. My other 2 children are being tested for the DPT-1 trial. This would definitely increase the interest of signing up for the trial. I guarantee perspective volunteers are scared of joining for fear of the finger jabs. It makes a difference if you are required to test for your life or just for experiments.

The Lasette Laser Lancing Device will soon be available for home use. The laser takes the place of the traditional steel lancet, but you still need to use your blood glucose meter.