Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My daughter has had diabetes for almost 3 years now. In this time she has had a really hard time in school. She has been failing all her classes. Is there a link between learning disability and diabetes?

Answer:

I would need additional information to answer this question more thoroughly. But in general, kids with diabetes are not necessarily learning impaired.

What age is your child? Current stressors? Recent shift from grade school, middle school, etc.? History of hypoglycemia? These are some of the relevant queries that may be impacting your daughter's achievement.

CMB

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare