Question:

From Texas, USA:

My 4 year-old daughter was diagnosed six months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Our pediatrician referred us to another pediatrician (not an endocrinologist) with more experience treating kids with diabetes. Her two HA1c tests have shown that we have been managing her diabetes very well so far. How important is it for her to be seen by a pediatric endocrinologist? Should she have an endo for her regular physician? We live in a small town about 45 miles outside of the nearest metropolitan area so there is not one here in town.

Answer:

Pediatric endocrinology is a specialty that requires additional education and years of experience. I always recommend that a child be seen by a pediatric endocrinologist on a quarterly basis. They are more able to assess diabetes control, complications and adjust dose and diet.

A child should have a general pediatrician as well. While there are many good pediatricians, I would not recommend that this be your child's only doctor. Pediatric endocrinologists not only have their own pool of knowledge but they usually have access to diabetes educators, dietitians, social and psychology specialists and new diabetes research. In addition, they will be tied into the diabetes community and that support is critical to the well being of your family. Diabetes is a difficult disease for the patient and the family. You need as much support as possible both medically and socially.

HVS