From Junction City, Kansas, USA:

My granddaughter has type 1. She has it for 2 years now. I cannot understand how or why she has it. There is no history of it in the family on either side of the family. She's only 7 years old, and keeps asking me when it will go away. How do you tell this child there is no cure for type 1?

Tell her the truth: that researchers are aggressively seeking a cure.

Diabetes is not always traceable through family genetics. Your granddaughter may be the first in your family. She may have had relatives with undiagnosed diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune phenomenon. Read more about it on this website.

Posted to Research: Cure