Question:

From Woonsocket, Rhode Island, USA:

I would like to know what is consider a high blood sugar level in a 3 year old boy. My son had his sugar tested by an at home kit and it read 115. My son is always very thirsty and urinates frequently. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

I really don't think so. Home blood sugar meters are not precise enough to rely upon them in cases such as your son's borderline fasting blood sugar of 115. In any case, symptoms of diabetes such as polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased thirst) occur only when blood sugars are much higher over the whole day for a long period of time. Ask for a lab determination of either fasting blood sugar as well as sugar in the urine.