From the state of Washington, USA:

I recently had a fasting glucose reading of 198 -- I understand that this is too high. Previously, six years ago, during pregnancy, I had one test scoring 4 points above normal and a subsequent test (during a 3 hour test) that one reading came back one point above. Subsequent daily testing at different times were all completely within normal range. Now, this high test. The nurse tells me that a reading that high is considered diabetic. Is this so? I am completely freaked out at the prospect of having to live with diabetes. Are there other testing procedures, or considerations to consider?

Half the population that develops gestational diabetes goes on in the future to develop diabetes. Sounds like you were at least at some elevated risk.

Diabetes is diagnosed by having two fasting blood glucoses done by a certified laboratory, not with a home monitor, of over 126 mg/dl. You need to be adequately tested, and if you have diabetes get treated. Don't ignore it. Elevated glucoses damage eyes, kidneys and cause amputations.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Gestational Diabetes