Question:

From Newfoundland, Canada:

Two years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Her sugar levels are usually low; as a matter of fact, she often goes low. She is 14 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall, and 150 pounds. She takes 100 units of insulin.

Today I was told she has hyperthyroidism and that she will have to see her doctor next week to a drug to fix this problem. Why this happened and is this normal or is it rare, as her doctor told me it was rare and that normally they get hypo instead of hyperthyroid? Hopefully you can help me in understanding this. I feel totally lost.

Answer:

Actually her diabetes and her thyroid disease are both autoimmun e diseases. It really isn't so complex after all. It is true that most children who get thyroid disease and have diabetes (about 20% will do this) develop hypothyroidism as the presenting sign, but, some will have hyperthyroidism. So it's not so strange after all.

A good endocrinologist will be able to give you the treatment choices. We've all seen lots of thyroid disease, both hypo and hyper.

Posted to Thyroid