From Maine, USA:

I work with a 19 year old brittle diabetic. He is often runs in 400's for a level. He states he knows what to do to stabilize it since he has been a brittle diabetic since the age of 7 or earlier. He doesn't monitor it as ordered. How important is it to monitor it every four hours, then to eat and take the insulin as ordered?

If he wakes up at different times each day is this good, or should he do it consistently at 8 a.m. 12 noon, 4 p.m., p.m.?

I must say he goes to see a nurse four times a week.

Your question is not one that we can adequately answer and evaluate over the Internet. Each person with diabetes has their own individual approach. If you are not close to this person, it may be hard to help other than to be as supportive and non-judgmental as possible.

The care of diabetes is complex and is affected by psychosocial issues. Hopefully this person has the advantage of a good diabetes care provider or diabetes team to help.