Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I am 44 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for approximately 15 years. I just found out today that my diabetes is causing problems with my liver (fatty liver). I am confused on how diabetes affects the liver. I rarely drink so I don't believe it could be from that. Can you answer this for me please?

Answer:

Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes does not of itself cause liver problems although of course constantly high blood sugars can overwhelm the liver's ability to store excess sugar as glycogen Years ago too, chronic insufficiency of insulin used to produce marked enlargement of the liver: this was known as Mauriac's Syndrome. The new drug Rezulin, which is primarily used for Type 2 Diabetes may cause liver damage; but it is very unlikely that you have been exposed to it without knowing you have been placed on it.

It is more likely, therefore, that any liver abnormalities that have shown up are either related to one of the late complications of diabetes or to some totally different condition. Without a great deal more information as to your medical history and examination it would be inappropriate for me to suggest what the problem might be, and you need to talk about this to your doctor.