From Texas, USA:

Our two year old granddaughter has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are at a loss. Her pediatrician has been no help: he has not referred us to anyone; we have had no counseling. Her blood sugar yoyo's from 64 to 191 to 298. We need help.

I think you made an important point when you said the pediatrician has not referred her to a specialist. In my opinion a young child with diabetes is best managed by a team of specialists (pediatric endocrinologist, nurse, nutritionist, and perhaps counselor) who have experience with young children with diabetes. Help her to get referred to a center with the above team. If your pediatrician says s/he knows about the care of kids with diabetes, then I would focus on the need to have the support and education from the nurse and nutritionist at the pediatric diabetes center. Concerning blood sugars, they will likely be variable especially in a young child, but you want to know that your doing the best you can.