Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Mar 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My daughter was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes about 1 week ago. I'm a little confused about free foods. Any help will be appreciated. (29 Mar 1999)

2. My husband has had Type 1 diabetes for 27 years. Recently, he has experienced several lows where he has had seizures and I need to administer glucagon. (29 Mar 1999)

3. Our grandson, diagnosed 1 year ago, now age 11, has no information on salt intake. Is there any restriction on it? (29 Mar 1999)

4. I know there is a disorder common to young people with diabetes called 'coeliac syndrome'. Where can I find more information on diagnosis and treatment of this disorder? (27 Mar 1999)

5. My 9 year old daughter has had diabetes for 5 years. Several times during the past year, during her morning shot, the plunger becomes "stuck" in the middle of the shot. Any ideas to prevent it would be appreciated. (27 Mar 1999)

6. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a few weeks ago. In the hospital, they gave us a chart of injection sites to use. Do you have a chart or something that we can follow for a child 10 years old? (27 Mar 1999)

7. I am a very active 22 year old who just graduated from college. I have a very erratic schedule and am finding it hard to maintain blood sugars. I am interested in a pump. (27 Mar 1999)

8. My son is 14 years old and has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half. His A1c's have been 6 but his grades in school have dropped from A+ to B. I would like to know if I should decrease his dosage of A.M. insulins in order for him to be able to concentrate better. (27 Mar 1999)

9. I am 25 and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My blood sugar becomes much higher 3-4 days before menstruation. If it is hormonal could you explain this and how I may be able to achieve better control at these times? (26 Mar 1999)

10. I have heard of two different studies regarding diabetics taking Vitamin E. Do you have information on any other studies regarding Vitamin E -- does the amount make the difference as to whether it's helpful or not? (26 Mar 1999)

11. I have been diabetic for almost 4 years. I am 19, and I have always had good control (65-120 sugar reading). Recently my sugars have jumped to 296 and I feel like I am having a low. (26 Mar 1999)

12. I have had diabetes for almost twelve years; nobody has been able to get it under control. I also have a disease called celiac disease which interferes with my diabetes. What should I do? (26 Mar 1999)

13. I have a 23 month old who was diagnosed at 13 months with Type 1 diabetes. We would be great for a few weeks and then her numbers would go haywire for a couple of weeks. (26 Mar 1999)

14. My 8 year old son was recently switched to pork NPH and Humalog. It appears that the NPH acts much longer in my son than the "typical" times. (26 Mar 1999)

15. My son, age 13, has been diabetic since age 6. He is now having extreme difficulty in accepting the fact that his disease his chronic. Can you give me any suggestions for helping him to cope? (26 Mar 1999)

16. I have a newly diagnosed 10 year old son. He is looking for some "freebie" foods that he can have in between meals. (26 Mar 1999)

17. Can severe dehydration, not associated with vomiting or diarrhea, and a blood sugar of 156 after 12 hours of not eating be associated with diabetes? (26 Mar 1999)

18. I started counting carbs about a year ago. I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I exercise 40 minutes a day, but recently have stopped losing weight. What do you recommend I do to start losing weight again? (26 Mar 1999)

19. How far are we for "cloning" islets? Is stevia recommended as a sugar substitute for diabetics? (24 Mar 1999)

20. I have been a diabetic for 3 years and I control it through diet and exercise. For the past month I have suffered with cold legs and feet and chronic leg and foot cramps. Are these problems likely to be related to diabetes? (24 Mar 1999)

21. I am 17 and I have type 1 diabetes and was told I had it when I was 15. I would like to know the effects of LSD on someone that has diabetes. (24 Mar 1999)

22. My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 10. When she was 5, she was hospitalized with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Has there ever been any research done on a link between children who have suffered from HUS and later developed diabetes? (24 Mar 1999)

23. My 5 year old son has Type 1. The problem I have is getting him to eat. It is a total nightmare at mealtimes. Sometimes the meal can take up to an hour or longer. What suggestions do you have to help me overcome this problem? (24 Mar 1999)

24. My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed 10 months ago. I have been told that he is still "honeymooning" and I understand his requirement for insulin will increase as he grows. Is there a general rule of thumb for units of insulin required in relation to size and weight? (24 Mar 1999)

25. My daughter is very active and in college. We are wondering about the pump for her. She thinks it will be no better than taking shots. Can you shed some light on the pros and cons of the pump? (24 Mar 1999)

26. My 10 year old son, diagnosed 5 years ago, will be traveling with us by plane this summer. What should we expect at the security checkpoints and how should we handle carrying the needles, lancets, etc.? (24 Mar 1999)

27. Our 3 1/2 year old son had a high glucose level in both his urine and his blood. We went back to the doctor's the next day (fasting overnight) and both his urine and blood were back to normal. (24 Mar 1999)

28. I am experiencing problems in my feet. I want to understand what is taking place. (24 Mar 1999)

29. I live with my Grandmother. She has had diabetes for a pretty long time and she is 80 years old this year. She just received a new meter. She has had trouble using it and keeping it calibrated to the right number. (24 Mar 1999)

30. In September 1989, a woman at the University of Alberta had an islet cell transplant. It was stated to be "The Cure" if she remained insulin-free for 5 years. It has now been 10 years and I can't find any information. (22 Mar 1999)

31. I want to know about the relation between Diabetes and "Skin Tags." (22 Mar 1999)

32. My son has had diabetes since he was 16 years old. He is now 20 years old. Is there any hope to cure him by an islet transplantation? (22 Mar 1999)

33. To get more accurate blood sugar readings, should we use a meter which is plasma-calibrated or whole blood calibrated? (21 Mar 1999)

34. My daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with Type 1 last summer. My husband has heard that Chromium Piccolate can be beneficial. Have there been any studies on this? Will extra chromium hurt her (21 Mar 1999)

35. My daughter is three and a half years old. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes over a year ago. Today she was diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and I'm concerned for the health of her kidneys. (21 Mar 1999)

36. We have been told that viruses can cause diabetes. My daughter had H.Pylori that went undiagnosed for almost 2 years. Could this have caused her diabetes? (21 Mar 1999)

37. I have a 19 month old daughter who was diagnosed with Nesidioblastosis after birth. I was wondering if this means my husband and I will pass this same thing on to another child. We have learned it is a genetic disease. (21 Mar 1999)

38. I would like to know whether there is any connection between a woman's inability to experience an orgasm during sexual intercourse and a hypoglycemic episode during sex. (21 Mar 1999)

39. My granddaughter is tiny and needs to be stuck as many as 8 times a day. What is the reason for sticking fingertips all the time? Why can't other sites be used? (19 Mar 1999)

40. If I need a snack that is 15 grams of carbohydrate, what is the lowest calorie snack that is good, yet healthy still to eat? (19 Mar 1999)

41. What is the Honeymoon Phase? (19 Mar 1999)

42. Can an electrolyte imbalance cause a problem with blood sugar levels being too high or too low, and cause a problem not being able to get them in the acceptable range? (19 Mar 1999)

43. My 2 year old son was diagnosed at a year old and we do not have a family history. However, there is a family member with Rheumatoid Arthritis which I was told is also an autoimmune disease. Is there a connection? (19 Mar 1999)

44. I am looking for information on why there may be a seasonal onset (fall-winter) with juvenile onset diabetes. (19 Mar 1999)

45. Is there a list of antibiotics available that can be given to diabetics? Usually these seem only to come in a strong sugary base. (19 Mar 1999)

46. My 4 year old son weighs 70 pounds and I am concerned that his excessive weight is not caused from his eating habits. (19 Mar 1999)

47. I've had diabetes for 27 years and am 5'8" tall. I weigh 128 pounds and have weighed this since I was 13. Is this normal? Is there any way to gain weight? Everyone kids me all the time about it. (19 Mar 1999)

48. My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 16 months old. How long does it usually take to rebound once a low occurs? (19 Mar 1999)

49. Does diabetes have any effect on menstrual periods for a young adult? (18 Mar 1999)

50. I have had diabetes for almost 14 years and feel silly asking this but, is diabetes genetic? I have read in some places that it is and other that it is the environment. (18 Mar 1999)

51. Both my parents, my wife, and I have diabetes. My parents are both type 1 and so am I. My wife is a type 2. What are the chances of our children having diabetes? (18 Mar 1999)

52. My niece is 10 years old and she has type 2 diabetes. She has blood-sugar levels that have been as high as 900+ and has been hospitalized repeatedly. She needs some intensive diabetic counseling. Mentally she just refuses to deal with what is happening to her. (18 Mar 1999)

53. Can you indicate the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children below the age of 6 years of age? It seems as if the community at large is unaware that diabetes can hit a child at any age. Is the incidence of diabetes rising? (18 Mar 1999)

54. I'm 24 and have had Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. My A1c levels are usually in the 5 to lower 6 range. I perfer to keep my sugars on the lower side rather than high. I just want to know if it will do any harm like the highs will do. (18 Mar 1999)

55. I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 9 years. I began developing small reddish/purple bumps on my hands a month ago, and they progressively got worse. I went to the dermatologist who diagnosed me with granuloma annulare. (18 Mar 1999)

56. My 2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 1999. My concern is with Y2K computer problem. Will insurance companies pay for supplies for a year or more in advance? (18 Mar 1999)

57. My daughter, who is 28 years old and pregnant with her first child, has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am concerned because I do not know anything about it, and would like some information about it. (18 Mar 1999)

58. Whenever I get ketones I get a burning sensation that is very painful in my throat. Is this caused by ketones? What exactly is going on? It happens even if I have trace ketones sometimes. I am 18 with Type 1 diabetes. (18 Mar 1999)

59. My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed. We were told to keep his blood sugar between 70 to 200. If his sugars consistantly run in the 120 to 200 range, will he be at a higher risk for complications? (17 Mar 1999)

60. A friend of mine is 25 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 at around 12 years old. I learned from a teacher of mine that nicotine can reduce the production of insulin. He chews tobacco every so often and I wondered whether he would have fewer diabetic "attacks" if he didn't "dip". (17 Mar 1999)

61. Do you know of any connection between Type 1 diabetes and Marfan's Syndrome? (17 Mar 1999)

62. My younger sister was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She is 10 years old and is afraid to give herself her own injections. She has no problem pricking her fingers for blood sugar checks. Is there anything I can say to her or a book she could read that would help her to feel better about giving her own injections? (17 Mar 1999)

63. I would like to know where I can find information on babies with diabetes. What I've found so far doesn't tell me much. (17 Mar 1999)

64. My doctor says I need to cut my sugar and sodium intake and I am clueless as to what I can drink besides spring water. Is Nutrasweet a non-sugar or another form of sugar? (17 Mar 1999)

65. I have Type 2 diabetes. Would you suggest a non-pork, very low sodium breakfast meat? I been eating turkey sausage for the last few years but I've grown tired of them. (17 Mar 1999)

66. What is GAD 65? (17 Mar 1999)

67. I've read your recent answers to questions about what is a "brittle" diabetic and I would like some clarification. I work with an 11 year old Type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed at birth. The parents say brittle means he can go from 3 to a 24 in a very short time. (17 Mar 1999)

68. My son was diagnosed 8 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. Has motility problems with his bowel, discovered after a gastric emptying test. The doctor said that nothing can be done. Should we go to another doctor? (17 Mar 1999)

69. My 5 yr old daughter (diagnosed May 1995) has been having ketones in her urine for the past 6 weeks. We have been to see her endocrinologist and our family doctor, neither of whom has found the reason why she is having the ketones, which range from a trace to off the charts. (17 Mar 1999)

70. My cousin (5 years old) suffers from Type 1 diabetes. We have recently heard about some thirst removing pill called "yu quan" (Xinkang Pharmaceutical Factory). I would like to know what effects they may have. (17 Mar 1999)

71. I've been on the pump for about 6 months. My husband and I are eager to start a family. Could you tell me if Humalog is safe to use while pregnant? (16 Mar 1999)

72. I have been trying for several years to get pregnant on my own and have not been able to. I have Type 2 diabetes. Do you believe that if I get my sugar under control with the diet that will I be able to get pregnant and carry the baby? (16 Mar 1999)

73. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 15 years. I am 34 years old and female. I am still on the same kind of insulin (Humulin N and Humulin R) that they put me on when I was diagnosed at the age of 18. I have spoken to my doctor and he says if it is working why change it? I would like to try something new. (16 Mar 1999)

74. I have a 10 year old child who has had Type 1 diabetes for two years. I would like to find information on hospital stay parental rights. Do I have the right to stay after visiting hours or all night? Does my child have the right to be in charge of testing and insulin dosage? (16 Mar 1999)

75. How long should you fast for a fasting blood sugar test? (16 Mar 1999)

76. What is a "brittle diabetic?" Is it true that once you're on the insulin pump, you can never go off? (16 Mar 1999)

77. I'm 57 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 49 years. I have a history of retinopathy and foot ulcerations but no renal or cardiac problems. Is 49 years with the condition unusual? I wish to set some sort of record. (16 Mar 1999)

78. My 6 year old son died Nov. 13,1998. We had never heard anything about him having diabetes until we got his medical records. I have no idea about diabetes and we are exploring what caused our son's death. (16 Mar 1999)

79. My husband has had type 2 diabetes for 15 years. He has reactions about 5 times a month and usually in the middle of the night. Is it possible to have a stroke during one of these reactions? (16 Mar 1999)

80. I understand how illness can cause blood glucose to increase, but why does a child sometimes have low blood glucose readings that are hard to raise during an illness? (16 Mar 1999)

81. My 31 year old son recently developed retinopathy in one eye has had laser surgery. He and his wife are planning a trip to Florida which requires flying. Does flying in any way have an impact on the eyes, especially the eye with the hemoragging? (16 Mar 1999)

82. In September our daughter was diagnosed with diabetes. This past week our son was diagnosed with Growth Hormone Defiency. Does he have an increased chance of developing diabetes from this? (14 Mar 1999)

83. I have undergone about 5-6 months of excruciating and extreme stress. My blood sugars have been high and erratic, especially in the morning. (14 Mar 1999)

84. I am an advanced practice nurse and diabetes educator who is part of a pediatric endocrinology team. I have a situation that has me completely baffled, and no one I work with has any explanation. I would be grateful if anyone can explain what it going on, or if anyone has experienced anything similar. (14 Mar 1999)

85. I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 12 and was on 2 units of Lente and 4 of NPH. At age 14, they put me on Micronase and took me off insulin. I was told I have MODY. Is that true? (14 Mar 1999)

86. Is there any research on sudden behavior changes in early childhood related to diabetes? (14 Mar 1999)

87. My son-in-law's father has diabetes. He is 56. He broke his leg about a year ago. The hospital didn't pack the cast correctly and an ulcer developed. His family is quite concerned that one of the doctors is presenting the idea of amputation of his leg now. (14 Mar 1999)

88. In order to achieve good control one must have a near normal HbA1c (which I do). But, HbA1c reflects only the mean glucose level during the past three months. Is there another parameter one can use to check if his glucose levels are not too varient? (14 Mar 1999)

89. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 22 weeks. I have begun testing for ketones in last several days. Morning ketones have been negative, however every day after either lunch or dinner, I have had trace to small ketone levels. Why would I be getting small ketone readings? (14 Mar 1999)

90. I am inquiring because my 7 year old daughter has had a severe problem with chronic constipation. Is chronic constipation a very early indicator of possible diabetes? (14 Mar 1999)

91. My 15 year old son is has Type 1 diabetes and is a wrestler. Before a match, his blood sugars are within normal readings.However, afterwards his blood sugars are greatly elevated. (14 Mar 1999)

92. I have heard of reports that the UK has approved a nasal insulin application, available in lieu of injections. Could you please give me any information or details on this? (14 Mar 1999)

93. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 two months ago, but my question concerns a friend of his. While my son was performing his glucose test his 11 year old friend wanted to try it. The reading was 178. Do you think I should mention this to his parents? (13 Mar 1999)

94. I am 16 years old. Today I went for a yearly eye appointment. He told me that I was going blind and that is was due to my high blood sugar. High sugars? I thought that I was doing good. I got this idea in my head about a pancreas transplant. (13 Mar 1999)

95. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who was born hypoglycemic. He spent 47 days in Pediatric ICU which has also left him visually impaired and developmentally delayed. Are they any known causes for infant hypoglycemia? (13 Mar 1999)

96. How does insulin affect the feelings of hunger? My teenage daughter is experiencing constant feelings of hunger and is having real difficulty controling her appetite. What can be done to break this cycle between insulin and hunger? (12 Mar 1999)

97. I offer another test to check diet soda for sugar does not require any chemical strips. (12 Mar 1999)

98. My 4 1/2 year old son had a high sugar concentration in his urine during a routine urinalysis. He had further blood testing which came back within the normal range. He has always had trouble digesting sugars -- he was severely lactose intolerant. Should I be concerned and should he be tested further? (12 Mar 1999)

99. Our 12 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 5. Over the past year, he has been constantly high. Recently the specialist has suggested a week in hospital to try and find out why he is so high all the time. (12 Mar 1999)

100. I am a 56 year old woman, diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at age 54, and just diagnosed with Type 2. How can I differentiate symptoms caused by diabetes and those by MS? (12 Mar 1999)

101. I have a four year old who has been having blood sugar fluctuations for 2 years now. She has been as low as 30 and as high as 220. Just prior to her having these blood sugar problems, she had contacted the Ebstein Barr Virus. Is there a link between the two? (12 Mar 1999)

102. I have had diabetes since I was nine. I am now twenty years old. I am having a hard time understanding how to adjust my insulin if my sugars are too high in the evening and morning. (9 Mar 1999)

103. Why do I have ketones if my blood glucose is in normal ranges? (9 Mar 1999)

104. Some of the answers you have given to questions asked give me the impression that you all feel multiple daily injections are the only way to go. Is it typical to stay with two shots a day? (9 Mar 1999)

105. A 6 year old boy in our community has brittle diabetes. His family has expressed an interest in aquiring an insulin pump for him to use but cannot afford the dollars to purchase it. Do you know of any organizations that can assist with the cost? (9 Mar 1999)

106. My 4 year old son was diagnosed at 2 year old with diabetes. Before now he has never wet the bed. Now when he goes to his father's for a visit he also wets himself in the daytime. (9 Mar 1999)

107. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in January 1999. What is a "brittle diabetic"? What do people mean when they ask is "she a severe diabetic?" (9 Mar 1999)

108. I have this machine that lets me know what my sugar is. What range is it surposed to be? 80 to 114, or 150 to 200? Both doctors told me different and I'm confused. (8 Mar 1999)

109. My 11 year old daughter has had episodes (lasting from 2-5 days) of high blood sugars with moderate or large ketones, every 10 days to 2 weeks. No one has been able to determine what might be going on. (8 Mar 1999)

110. I am working with a third grader who has a diagnosis of 'brittle diabetes'. This young man is demonstrating a lot of anger and is becoming more physically aggressive toward staff and some students. Is there a connection between aggression and diabetes? (8 Mar 1999)

111. I am interested in adopting a young child with diabetes. How do you recommend my husband I find a young child, with diabetes, needing a loving home? (8 Mar 1999)

112. My stepdaughter is 5 years old. Lately she has been showing ketones of 2+ or black on the stick. She has no classic symptoms, and we hydrate her with juice and water which temporarily relieves the ketones, but with in 12-18 hours they are back. (8 Mar 1999)

113. Can you explain the different amongst plasma, serum, and whole blood glucose? (6 Mar 1999)

114. My mother is diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is experiencing pain in the lower and upper spine sections, the chest, her abdomen. She has feet that look like they are swollen. (6 Mar 1999)

115. I have two meters made by the same company. I ran blood tests using both meters and found a great difference on the high end. Could there be something wrong with my meters? (6 Mar 1999)

116. My husband is 32 and has had Type 1 diabetes for fourteen years. Now he has become blind and I want to purchase a new monitor that will help him somewhat on taking his readings. (6 Mar 1999)

117. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with a type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. His blood sugar reading was generally between 80 to 200 for 4 months but now his reading is changed, between 140 to sometimes up to 400. (6 Mar 1999)

118. Is there a chart telling you what readings are high and which ones are low? (6 Mar 1999)

119. A friend of mine's brother, age 22, has diabetes of a different form caused by "guts permability". Is there where he can find out information and help about it? (6 Mar 1999)

120. Do you have any suggestions on how to get my morning fasting level lower? I was having problems taking Glucophage due to digestive problems. (6 Mar 1999)

121. My mother has had diabetes for 8 years. Last week she injected her insulin in her arm. As the needle came out it started itching immediately. Is it possible that she is allergic to the insulin? (6 Mar 1999)

122. I have had diabetic for about 20 years. I am not on insulin but on pills. I am quite thin and seem to have lost a lot of muscle in my legs, they feel very bony. Can you tell me any thing about this? (6 Mar 1999)

123. I am having problems with the school providing snacks for my son. I was told that the school had to provide snacks for a Insulin dependent diabetic. (3 Mar 1999)

124. My 4 year old son was diagnosed 15 months ago. His insulin dose has been 2R/6N at 7:30AM, 1R/2.5N PM. This worked pretty well until 3 weeks ago. Suddenly we were unexpected lows, mostly around 10:00AM. (3 Mar 1999)

125. My son has had loose bowels and a sore throat for three days (no temp). Is this just a virus like most children have, or is this a symptom of something linked with diabetes? (3 Mar 1999)

126. Our 9 year old son complains almost daily of feeling a bit dizzy before lunch at school, and very often after lunch feels more dizzy and often vomits. This never happens at home. (3 Mar 1999)

127. A friend of mine has a 12 year old daughter that is on a very low carb diet. She doesn't have to take insulin as long as she exercises regularly. (3 Mar 1999)

128. I have a 10 year old diabetic son (for 5 years). He would prefer to use the Novopen for all his shots but doesn't like having to do two shots for the R and N in the morning. Does someone make a pen that holds both insulins in one unit and mixes them for one shot? (3 Mar 1999)

129. My 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was reading about a device, in the making, that will be able to monitor blood sugar levels while sleeping. (3 Mar 1999)

130. Last year I became an insulin dependent diabetic.I have pains in my lower legs and a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet. My doctor says that it is because of the diabetes, but I am having my doubts about this since my sugar is kept at such a normal level. (2 Mar 1999)

131. Our 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 and put on insulin but due to "honeymoon" she experienced several low blood sugar readings and therefore was removed from insulin. Is she experiencing the onset of diabetes? (2 Mar 1999)

132. At the moment I am using Humalog and N, 16 units of Humalog with meals, and 26 units of N before bed. However, my sugars are staying around 9 - 14 mmol. Could I have a resistance to insulin? (2 Mar 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts