From Romford, Essex, UK:

At the moment I am using Humalog and N, 16 units of Humalog with meals, and 26 units of N before bed. However, my sugars are staying around 9 - 14 mmol. I obviously need more insulin, but I feel that I am taking a lot anyway. What is the usual amount of insulin needed? I am 22, and have had type 1 for 6 years. I eat approximately 240 grams of carbs a day. Could I have a resistance to insulin?

I'm not so convinced either that you are actually suffering from insulin resistance nor that you simply need much more insulin. In my experience, I'd better look first at your lispro insulin [Humalog®] use. Lispro given alone is quite often not capable to cover completely the between-meals periods as well as the late after-dinner period.

Adding some NPH to the morning lispro works better. Ask your diabetes team for more advice.