From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was reading about a device, in the making, that will be able to monitor blood sugar levels while sleeping. If the levels should drop too low, an alarm would sound. Do you have any information on this new device or can you tell me more?

I believe you are referring to the MiniMed continuous monitor. About the size of an insulin pump, the device uses a cannula inserted into the abdomen, just like an insulin pump, to measure interstitial glucose levels. These levels are correlated to blood sugar levels.

For more information, see: MiniMed Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Recommended by FDA Panel.