From Little Rock, Arkansas, USA:

My six year old daughter (diagnosed 1 year ago) and five year old son (diagnosed 6 months ago) both have Type 1 diabetes, and since they are attending public schools, they are susceptible to many illnesses of other children.

My son has had loose bowels and a sore throat for three days (no temp). Is this just a virus like most children have, or is this a symptom of something linked with diabetes? Also, his little friend has mono. Is this a big concern for my children? Is there a list we can go by to know what is serious with our children, and what is just the typical childhood virus from school?

Children with diabetes are not generally susceptible to catching more viruses than other children. However, they can become more ill if their diabetes is not carefully monitored. It is important to test frequently, check for ketones if the blood glucose is over 250 and to drink plenty of fluids. Sometimes extra short acting insulin is used to keep the blood sugar down.

Always consult with your physician or diabetes team for guidance if your child is ill. This is especially important if your child is unable to eat, has poor fluid intake, or vomiting and/or diarrhea that can lead to dehydration.